Every bit as important as your toothbrush and sunscreen, music is an essential travel accessory for many of us, so don’t forget to pack your soundtrack! We’re pleased to introduce our new post, bringing you suggested playlists for our destinations and all kinds of situations. We’d love it if you joined in by either adding to the playlist or creating your own topic/playlist to share with fellow Virgin Atlantic vtravellers…
Playlist 1: Tunes to listen to while watching the sun go down in the Caribbean
As much as it’s known for its beaches and blue waters, the Caribbean is a party place, you simply can’t visit without getting your groove on. So when the sun goes down and the rum comes out, you want some bumping basslines for those balmy nights.
Our first playlist concentrates on the bottomless musical mine that is Jamaica, but will suit any island break. Going beyond Bob, we’ve picked some key classics from JA musical history, running from rocksteady and ska, through roots reggae and dancehall, winding down with some sweet lovers’ rock and the classic mento folk of Day-O…
- Theophilus Beckford – “Easy Snapping”
- The Paragons – “The Tide Is High”
- The Skatalites – “Guns of Navarone”
- Jimmy Cliff – “Wonderful World, Beautiful People”
- Althea & Donna – “Uptown Top Rankin'”
- Wayne Smith – “Under Me Sleng Teng”
- Chaka Demus & Pliers – “Murder She Wrote”
- Alton Ellis – “Rock Steady”
- Gregory Isaacs – “Night Nurse”
- Harry Belafonte – “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)”
Here’s a handful of our favourite live clips from the list, including Althea & Donna’s amusing appearance on Top Of The Pops.
If you’ve been suitably inspired, head on over to Virgin Holidays who are the UK’s leading holiday company to the Caribbean, with a vast range of island destinations on offer – and book your place in the sun!
And for direct flights to Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean, visit virginatlantic.com