Virgin Atlantic has unveiled its latest investment in luxury travel – a brand-new Clubhouse at Newark Liberty Airport.
Created by the same team as the JFK Clubhouse – New York-based architectural practice Slade Architecture in collaboration with our own in-house design team – the Newark space has been designed with a mixture of NYC’s downtown flair and Virgin Atlantic’s warmth and individuality. The lounge lives and breathes lower Manhattan – think Soho boutiques, TriBeCa lofts, Noho coffee shops, secret bars in the LES and Meatpacking District chic.
Upmarket luxury in Downtown themed lounge
The personalized food service offers Upper Class passengers a local community experience with the opportunity to indulge in locally-sourced produce. To allow passengers the maximum time for relaxation before boarding, the 5,000 foot Clubhouse is now located airside, after the security checks in Terminal B and close to the gates.
The Newark Clubhouse features:
- The Cocktail bar at the heart of the space with crystal features refracting natural light
- The Passion Pit is a sunken lounge area where visitors can kick back, relax and even have a snooze
- The Origami Lounge for those looking for a bit of privacy
- The Liquid lounge for passengers to enjoy a few cocktails before jetting off
- The Brasserie to enjoy locally sourced produce at both breakfast and dinner time
- The Screening room which features films from eight graduate film makers from the National Film and Television school
- Work by local artists including Jorge Colombo, Garrett Pruter, Kate Hazell, Galia Rybitskaya, Millie Marotta, and Jonny Moss
- Furniture pieces including Pearson Lloyd’s Turtle Chair, Moroso’s Take a Line chair, Saarinen marble tables and Bertoia chairs and stools
Virgin Atlantic’s Head of Design Luke Miles explains further:
“Newark has always been an important market to Virgin Atlantic – it’s where it all started with our first flight from London in 1984. The new Clubhouse has been designed to really reflect the spirit and heart of downtown New York and we are confident that it will continue to impress our passengers and give them an experience to remember each time they fly with us.”
The Newark Clubhouse marks the final element in Virgin Atlantic’s £100 million investment in its Upper Class product. During 2012 the airline has also opened a new Clubhouse in New York JFK, unveiled a new Upper Class cabin on its A330-300 aircraft as well a new Upper Class fine dining experience.
Virgin Atlantic offers two daily flights from London Heathrow to Newark as well as four daily flights from London Heathrow to JFK.